Monday, July 22, 2013

Not reading and re-reading

I "read" two books that I gave up on, one Simon Brett (The Murder in the Museum) which was as usual with a Brett mediocre and I have no tolerance for that type of nonsense at the moment so remind me not to bother ever again and am now re-reading Josephine Tey, The Singing Sands. I have a second hand copy with a ludicrous cover, viz.

























Love the font, but the picture? Ha. I'll have to get back to a proper post on this, because I checked my archives and I haven't blogged about this one at all. It's worth a post.

Speaking of covers, one of the books I didn't read has a retro-cheesy cover deserving a photo, so I'm going to do a post for it later which is why I didn't bother writing more now.

 Reading Josephine Tey after Simon Brett is like ... like ... a drink of water when you're thirsty, if you'll excuse a worn metaphor. Such a difference in depth of writing. Brett must assume all his readers are pretty much illiterate. (I'm feeling snarky.)

3 comments:

li'l sis said...

Every time I glance at that cover I think, "Why is there a fish-- oh, wait that's a dagger." Takes me by surprise EVERY TIME.

bani said...

A fish would make sense, as he goes fishing in the book. The dagger and the naked woman have yet to make any sort of appearance (I don't think either will if I remember things correctly). There is a train though. The train is drawn so small you might have missed it though?

li'l sis said...

*squints* Wait, that's a train? I thought that was a pillow or something. I don't think the cover artist actually read the book.

"The singing sands eh? Let's toss in a "oriental" f̶i̶s̶h̶ dagger and a half-naked western-looking houri on the cover. Brilliant! Orient also makes you think Orient Express, which is a train... PERFECT."